Children matter to God.
Children are the future of the church. Children need to be discipled. Children need to be loved. And children’s ministry is important. Proverbs 22:6 states, “Train a child up in the way he should go. And when he is old, he will not depart from it.” Matthew 19:14 says, “But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.”
Statistically speaking, most salvations (43%) occur before the age of 13, and 64% make decisions to follow Christ before the age of 18 (Barna Group.) If those statistics and the verses clearly stressing the importance of children weren’t evidence enough, below is a list of reason I have been taught, and learned first hand, of why children’s ministry is important.
- First and foremost, children matter to God.
- Again, children are the future of the church
- Starting them out early in church will help allow them to mature in their faith at a younger age
- That maturity will thus help them defend their faith
- Children’s ministry allows kids to make friends and create groups at an early age of like-minded believers
- Children’s ministry teaches love
- It helps those children who may come from a rough background to feel wanted and safe
- It helps counter the lies the world feeds them, especially concerning their worth and the character of God
- Children’s ministry partners with the parents/guardians to help teach the love and importance of Christ
- By the children coming to church, parents who may not be active in church may come
- It equips children to transition into the youth-aged class(es)
- Children’s ministry is a great outreach to the community
- It helps strengthen child-like faith within the church
- It builds a foundation of Biblical knowledge, using ways children can understand, without “watering-down” the Gospel/Word
- Children’s ministry provides unique volunteer opportunities for the church
While the list can go on and on, those are just a few of the ways children’s ministry is beneficial and essential to the church.
Psalms 127:3 “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord…”
(A while back our children’s director posted on her personal blog this list of reasons as to why children’s ministry is important. (With her permission) we wanted to share that with you.)
“Evangelism Is Most Effective Among Kids.” Barna Group. The Barna Group, Ltd., 11 Oct. 2004. Web. 15 Sept. 2015. <https://www.barna.org/barna-update/5-barna-update/196-evangelism-is-most-effective-among-kids#.Vfi_eBFViko>.
Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson